Having never made “Christmas crack” before, I now understand how the recipe gets its name. It’s not just that it’s made with crackers, but it truly is as addictive as crack.
This recipe included an important milestone in Travis’s culinary journey – he got a turn at the stove!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup Earth Balance butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 48 saltine crackers (such as Back to Nature)
- 12 ounces non-dairy chocolate chips
- Line two baking sheets (or one large baking sheet) with aluminum foil, and coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Arrange the saltine crackers in an even layer on the baking sheets – 24 crackers per pan.
- In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar and butter over medium heat; cook for 5 minutes, until bubbly and melted.
- Pour the caramel mixture evenly over the crackers. Bake at 350 degrees F for 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle evenly with the chocolate chips. Return to the oven for 2 minutes.
- Use a spatula to spread the chocolate evenly over the crackers.
- Transfer the baking sheets to the freezer and freeze for 20 minutes. (Note: I let the pans cool for about 5 minutes, before the transfer to the freezer). Break into uneven pieces and store in an airtight container.