We didn’t have time to make this love-themed recipe from Raddish Kids at Valentine’s Day, but I’m glad of that fact now. It was the perfect recipe to make while “social distancing” with the family at home!. We even dialed-up Raddish’s love-filled Spotify playlist as we cooked, featuring everything from The Beatles’ All You Need Is Love to I Just Called to Say I Love You!
- 1/2 loaf baguette
- 3 tablespoons + 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Tear the baguette into small pieces until you have 4 cups of bread. Transfer the bread to a bowl and drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Spoon the baguette mixture onto a baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. The kids loved watching it toast! Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cut the cherry tomatoes in half and chop the cucumbers. This was the first time I let Travis use a knife without my hand on the handle to guide, and he was so proud. Add the tomatoes, cucumbers, and basil to the bread, then stir in the chickpeas and basil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. Pour the dressing over the bread mixture.
This salad was a huge hit! It’s the first time I’ve gotten Travis to eat chickpeas, and every bit of it was cleared from the plate. There were some fun tidbits to read about the history of this Italian salad on the recipe card, as well as ways to say ‘I love you’ in 6 languages.