For the crust:
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance butter
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
For the filling:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 lemon
- To prepare the crust, combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces, and add to the bowl. Travis loved dropping these in like craters on the moon! Use your fingers to mix until the dough is crumbly.
- Whisk together the flaxseed and water to make 1 flax egg. Add to the bowl and stir; it will still be dry and crumbly.
- Press 1 and 1/2 cups dough into the bottom of an 8×8-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: Mix together the blueberries, 1/4 cup sugar, and cornstarch in a bowl. Squeeze the lemon over the blueberry mixture and stir to combine.
- Spoon the blueberry filling over the dough. Sprinkle the remaining flour mixture on top. Bake at 375 degrees F for 43 minutes.
Cut into squares to serve!
Travis honestly loved the raw dough more than he did the final result, but either way he enjoyed making these. Don’t forget to serve up fun facts from the recipe card, like the roots of Blues music and an interesting blurb about why restaurants play music for ambiance.