Travis’s Raddish Kids this month is all about spring produce, celebrating the seasons’s beauty and bounty. The timing is so apt, a reminder that there is still fresh food and a beautiful spring, even during social distancing.
This first recipe was big on mise en place. Travis helped prep all the components and we arranged them in pretty colored bowls before setting the dinner table!
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 4 sliced green onions
- Tear the lettuce leaves away from the head of romaine, so they form individual cups. The best ones are about the size of your hand, so you might want to save the large, outer leaves for another use. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, peel and grate the carrot; place in a bowl.
- Cut the bell pepper into strips and then dice; place in a bowl.
- Place the peanuts in a bowl; set aside.
- To make the sauce, whisk together the garlic, ginger, lime juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and cornstarch; set aside.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble the tofu into the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce mixture; bring to a boil and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the green onions.
- To prepare the dish, spoon a little tofu mixture into each lettuce cups.
- Have kids add their favorite toppings directly at the table!