Cooking projects are always such a fantastic multi-generational project, and this activity includes not just a recipe but also a craft. Requiring only four ingredients and easy enough for little kids to help with, this one ticks all the boxes!
- 1 pound strawberries
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, grated
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Cut the tops form the strawberries and cut into quarters.
- Combine the strawberries, grated apple, and sugar in a saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until thickened. It will take about 45 minutes total, and helps to mash the strawberries on occasion to help them break down.
- Remove from heat and stir in the balsamic, then cool completely before transferring to a mason jar.
To decorate, we made labels with paper and crayons. Grandparents, parents, and kids can each add their own silly strawberry to the label!
Add yarn or pretty ribbon around the lid, too, if desired. We think this jam is especially delicious with crackers for a snack.