Here’s the second recipe Travis helped prepare from his Raddish Kids package about Lunchtime Love. And there was lots to love about this one, particularly blending up the pesto. Travis is always up for a chance to use the blender!
- 3 cups uncooked fusilli pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 and 1/2 cups loosely-packed fresh basil
- 1 and 1/2 cups loosely-packed fresh spinach
- 2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegan Parmesan
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Place the frozen peas in a colander and drain the pasta directly over the peas. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes to the bowl with the peas and pasta; set aside.
- To prepare the pesto, combine the garlic, basil, spinach, lemon juice, salt, Parmesan, and olive oil in a blender; process until smooth.
- Pour the pesto over the pasta mixture, stirring to coat.
We read more about the history of pesto on the recipe card while Travis lunched. There was also a fun feature about different types of lunchboxes from around the world. We’ll be thinking about this when we pack up for the first day of school next week!