We’re starting to get in the mood for all our favorite Thanksgiving dishes, thanks to Travis’s Gourmet Gobble kit from Raddish Kids. This recipe is a fun spin on pumpkin pie, and a bit more kid-friendly to prepare. I love watching Travis’s confidence in the kitchen grow, particularly his insistence on using the stand mixer all by himself for this recipe.
- 5 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 1 (10-ounce) package gingersnap cookies (such as Mi-Del)
- 16 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- To prepare the crust, heat the butter in the microwave for about 40 seconds, or until melted. Meanwhile, transfer the gingersnaps to a blender or food processor and grind into fine crumbs.
- Measure 1 and 1/4 cups gingersnap crumbs and stir into the melted butter. (Reserve the remaining gingersnaps for another use). Press the butter mixture into the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Meanwhile, combine the cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until creamy.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the cold water to make vegan eggs. Add the cornstarch mixture to the cream cheese mixture, along with the flour and salt; beat until combined.
- Remove 1/2 cup cream cheese mixture from the bowl and set aside.
- Add the pumpkin and pumpkin pie space to the remaining cream cheese mixture and beat until combined. Pour over the prepared gingersnap crust.
- Transfer the reserved 1/2 cup cream cheese mixture to a zip-top plastic bag and seal; snip a small hole in one bottom corner and pipe onto the pumpkin batter in any design you like. Travis chose a spiral! Straight geometric lines or dollops would also look pretty. Run a toothpick through whatever design you’ve chosen, to swirl together.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 40 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until firm, then cut into squares to serve.