What perfect timing! Travis’s Snowed Inn kit from Raddish Kids arrived just as we’re set to receive a winter snowstorm of over a foot. So of course we needed to dive into these recipes aimed at maximum winter coziness. First up was this hearty bowl of soup for dinner as the first flakes started to fall.
Travis loved so many steps of this recipe, particularly peeling the carrots!
For the soup:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
For the dumplings:
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 2/3 cup plain soy milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/3 cups flour
- To prepare the soup, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, carrot, celery, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook for 10 minutes, until the veggies are soft.
- Stir in the mushrooms, garlic powder, thyme, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook for 1 minute. Stir in 1/4 cup flour.
- Add the water and vegetable broth; bring to a boil, then continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dumplings. Travis was in charge of microwaving 2 tablespoons butter for 30 seconds, until melted.
- Add the soy milk, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining flour, stirring just until combined. Here’s Travis’s delight when he learned we were going to plop this dough right into the saucepan to make dumplings!
- Scoop out about 1 tablespoon batter and scrape into the soup with a second spoon. Continue with the remaining batter. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
To complete our cozy evening, Travis took the recipe card’s winter weather quiz as we dined, and learned about other types of dumplings from around the world.