How could we not make snowball cookies from Travis’s Snowed Inn Raddish Kids package on a snow day home from school? This was the coziest recipe to bring little “snowballs” safely back inside once the outdoor play was done.
- 1 and 2/3 cup flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance butter, softened
- 1 and 1/4 cups + 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside.
- Whisk the flaxseed into the cold water until combined, and let stand for 5 minutes to make 2 flax eggs.
- Meanwhile, beat the butter and 1 and 1/4 cups sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer until creamy. Add the flaxseed mixture and vanilla; beat until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until a soft dough forms. Cover and transfer to the fridge for 1 hour.
- Set out two bowls, one filled with 1/3 cup sugar and the other with the powdered sugar. Scoop out 1 tablespoonful of dough and roll into a ball. Roll in the sugar, then the powdered sugar, and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining dough to make 30 cookies.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack… Or nibbling on while still warm!
Travis enjoyed the true/false snowflake quiz on the recipe card, as well as some fun facts about how chocolate is made. Plus we listened to a playlist of cozy winter tunes like Jingle Bell Rock as we baked, making this just about as cozy an afternoon in the kitchen as we could imagine!