This recipe is great for mixed households with meat-eaters and vegans alike – the hearty lentils are a fantastic meatless twist on a classic bolognese sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (1-pound) package spaghetti
- Vegan Parmesan sprinkles
- Fresh basil leaves
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the tomato paste.
- Add 3 cups water and the lentils. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 35 minutes. Uncover and stir in the tomatoes, along with 1 cup water, the salt, and the black pepper. Simmer for a final 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions in a pot of boiling, salted water. Drain and return to the pot. Add the lentil sauce and toss to combine.
- If desired, top with the parmesan and fresh basil just before serving.