For kids who like a spicy kick, add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper along with the other spices. My preschooler prefers this on the mild side though!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 and 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fired-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 (15-ounce) drained can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) drained and rinsed can black-eyed peas
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper; cook for 6 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, Italian herbs, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then stir in the rice.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the artichokes and black-eyed peas. Cook for a final 5 minutes, until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.