These vegan rice crispy treats skip the marshmallow in favor of almond butter and a sticky sweet syrup.
- 5 cups brown rice crisps cereal
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup plain non-dairy milk
- 6 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/2 cup carob chips
- Place the cereal in a large bowl, and spray a 9×9-inch baking pan with cooking spray; set both aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, and milk. Heat over medium-heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils. Stop stirring and continue to cook for 6 minutes, maintaining a rolling boil. If the mixture bubbles up, briefly remove from the burner and let cool slightly.
- Remove from heat and immediately add the almond butter, stirring until combined. Pour the sugar mixture over the rice, stirring with a spatula to combine; fold in the carob chips.
- Press the mixture into the prepared baking pan and let cool completely before cutting into squares.