Use any brand of tofu pups (i.e. soy hot dogs) from the store to make the ever-popular pigs-in-a-blanket without the pigs!
- 1/3 cup plain non-dairy milk
- 3/4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance butter
- 4 to 5 vegan hot dogs
- To make the dough, combine the milk in a bowl with the vinegar and let stand for 5 minutes. All you’re doing here is curdling the milk so it is like buttermilk; lemon juice works as a substitute for the vinegar in a pinch.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and wheat germ. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture; cut in using your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture is like coarse meal.
- Add the milk mixture, stirring until a dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 4 times. Roll the dough into a 10-inch square, then cut into 4 or 5 strips, depending on how many hot dogs you’re using.
- Roll each hot dog into a strip of dough at a slight angle, pressing to seal. Place the hot dogs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes, until the dough is lightly browned.on the bottom.