This chowder has the wonderful creaminess of the New England clam chowder I remember eating in my childhood, but without the seafood!
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced carrot
- 1 cup peeled and diced sweet potato
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- Whisk together the herbs, flour, yeast, milk, water, and nutmeg in a saucepan. Add the carrots, sweet potato and corn; partially cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir in the spinach; partially cover once more and cook over medium heat for 7 minutes, until the spinach is wilted and the other veggies are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the ketchup.
We love eating this with biscuits or a slice of cornbread!