If you’re looking for a way to mix up taco night, this just-spicy-enough quinoa-filled version fits the bill!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 (1-ounce) packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 red bell peppers
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup non-dairy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Shredded lettuce
- Fresh cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- To prepare the quinoa, place in a saucepan with 2 cups water and the taco seasoning; bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and cook a final 5 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Halve and slice the red onion and cut the bell peppers into strips. Add to the skillet, along with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper; saute for 12 minutes, until lightly charred.
- Halve, peel, and pit the avocado. Mash the flesh in a bowl with the sour cream, lime juice, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. (Note: You can also do this step in a food processor).
- Warm the tortillas, and top each with the avocado sauce, quinoa, vegetables, lettuce, and cilantro.