The spice in this Spanish take on noodles will challenge little taste buds just enough. But use a milder sausage if your kids don’t like spicy!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces angel hair pasta
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 vegan spicy sausage links, chopped (such as Field Roast Mexican Chipotle)
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup frozen spinach or broccoli rabe
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot. Break the pasta into 2-inch pieces, and add to the pan; cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. (Note: work in 2 batches, if needed, so that the noodles cook evenly). Remove the noodles from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon oil in the pan. Add the onion and sausage; cook for 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add the chickpeas; cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and tomatoes. Return the pasta to the pan, along with the water. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir, then cover and continue to cook for 5 minutes, or until the noodles are tender. Season with the salt, black pepper, and oregano.