Even toddlers can help prepare these easy cookies; your little one will love making the thumb indents that get filled with jelly.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 2/3 cup melted Earth Balance butter
- 2 tablespoons plain almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Jam for filling
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together the applesauce and baking powder in a large bowl. Add the apple juice, melted butter, almond milk, and vanilla.
- Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. The dough will be sticky but workable.
- Using your hands, shape into 1 inch balls and arrange on baking sheets.
- Press your thumb or a small measuring spoon into the center of each cookie to form an indent. Fill with your jam of choice.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 11 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.