After making Japanese noodles, tonight Travis moved on to another classic from Japanese cuisine: teriyaki skewers! We made the recipe vegan with a block of tofu for an adaptation to Raddish Kid’s original chicken recipe. Because we were nearly out of regular length skewers, we used toothpicks for mini skewers instead!
- 1 (1-pound) package firm tofu
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Drain the tofu and pat dry. Cut the tofu and bell pepper into 1-inch pieces. Thread onto skewers.
- Arrange the skewers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the teriyaki sauce: whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, water, cornstarch, and garlic powder in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then continue to cook for 30 seconds, whisking frequently.
- Brush the cooked tofu skewers with the teriyaki sauce using a pastry brush. Sprinkle evenly with the sesame seeds.
As we dined, Travis practiced some of the Japanese words on the recipe card, and learned about other components of a traditional Japanese meal. You’ll have leftover teriyaki sauce, so consider it over veggies or rice later on in the week!