Layer the ingredients for this rich chocolate brownie mix in a gift tin; it makes the perfect gift for a teacher or neighbor during the holidays! Travis loved helping to measure and pour out the ingredients as we arranged them in the jar. And of course, don’t forget to whip up a batch to enjoy at home! Omit the pecans if your recipient has nut allergies.
First, the recipe itself:
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted Earth Balance butter
- 2 Ener-G eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup vegan mini marshmallows (such as Dandies)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Coat a 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt (a.k.a. “the brownie mix”) with the butter, Ener-G eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir until well blended.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips, marshmallows, and pecans over the batter. Bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes – the marshmallows should be puffy.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool completely before cutting into 16 squares.
To prepare the recipe as a gift, layer the sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt in a glass jar with lid. Omit the wet ingredients. Place the marshmallows, chocolate chips, and pecans in a zip-top plastic bag, and set over the dry ingredients. This was Travis’ favorite part, especially because he stole a few marshmallows for snacking!
Make sure to seal the gift jar tightly.
Write out the recipe instructions on an index card so your recipient can add the wet ingredients at home. Use a hole punch to punch a hole in one corner, and tie the index card to the jar with a ribbon.
Travis helped add stickers to the index card as the finishing touch!
One thought on “Rocky Road Brownie Mix”