This recipe was my son’s first mix-and-match rice bowl! Hopefully the first of many to come in his vegan culinary adventures.
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 and 1/4 cups red lentils
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Thinly slice the onions and add to the pan; cook for 30 minutes, until browned; set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to package directions. Although not necessary, I stir in a little Earth Balance butter after the rice cooks to suit my son’s taste.
- While the rice cooks, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add the lentils and cook for 10 minutes; drain off the excess water.
- In a food processor, combine the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, and salt. Process until creamy and thick.
- Divide the rice and lentils evenly among 6 child-sized portions (or 3 adults servings). Top evenly with the onions, avocado, carrots, and tahini sauce.