This creamy blended soup is perfect almost any time of year. Use fresh corn in the summer or canned corn when it’s out of season. Although the ingredient list is longer than I generally strive for with kids’ meals, it comes together fairly quickly.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 small red potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Sliced green onions (optional)
- Chopped, cooked vegan bacon (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; saute for 3 minutes.
- Peel and chop the potatoes. Add to the pot, along with the salt and black pepper; cover and steam for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, broth, and milk; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender, along with the nutritional yeast, and process until smooth. Note: If you prefer, puree only a bit of the soup (about 3/4 cup), and leave the remaining soup chunky.
- Ladle into bowls, and top each serving with green onions, bacon pieces, and additional corn kernels as garnish, if desired.