When your preschooler wakes up at 5.30 in the morning and immediately says, “Mom, let’s make a recipe!” you need something that only relies on pantry staples. Thinking quick, we put together this basic-as-can-be muffin recipe, and had warm muffins for breakfast about 30 minutes later. The perfect start to the day!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Ener-G egg
- 1 cup plain or vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup melted Earth Balance butter
- 1/2 cup chopped dates (optional)
- Brown sugar for dusting (optional)
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a second, bowl, whisk together the Ener-G egg, almond milk, and butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the dates (if using), then divide the batter evenly among 10 to 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Dust each muffin with a little brown sugar, if you have it on hand.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.