Moment of truth: This cake didn’t turn out quite as intended, no thanks to a chocolate cake layer that didn’t set right in the pan! So what was originally intended as a two-layer cake with cut-out hearts turned into a single-layer cake with sprinkled hearts on top…But we loved it anyway! Any way you slice it, this is a sweet cake to bake for your Valentine’s this week.
- 1 (9-inch round) chocolate cake, cooled
- 3/4 cup Earth Balance butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ounce freeze-dried raspberries
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Bake the cake ahead of time, whether it’s your favorite recipe from scratch or one made from a vegan mix (such as Cherrybrook Kitchen). Set aside.
- Place the butter in a stand mixer and beat until creamy. Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat at low speed until combined. Beat in the vanilla.
- Pulse the raspberries in a food processor until finely ground. Fold into the powdered sugar mixture, along with the milk.
- Place the cake layer on a plate, and frost with 1/2 cup frosting. Reserve the remaining frosting for another use.
- Place a heart-shaped cookie cutter on top of the cake, and gently tap in a layer of sprinkles. Pink or red ones would be ideal, but the organic sprinkles we had on hand were multicolored, which worked in a pinch. Repeat with as many hearts on top as you’d like to make.
Serve with a spoonful of love!