This hearty stew brought international flair to our kitchen tonight; the plantain-based dish is similar to those traditionally served at birthday celebrations in Kenya, a nice little addendum to some birthday learning Travis has recently enjoyed.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces meatless crumbles
- 3 ripe plantains, peeled and chopped
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups water
- Heat the canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and meatless crumbles; cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped plantains and potatoes, then cover with the water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are very tender.