- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Ener-G egg
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 slices Daiya cheddar cheese
- 4 burger buns
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slice tomato
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Arrange on a double layer of paper towels on a baking sheet and let dry for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the cilantro, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt in a bowl. Add the black beans; mash with a potato masher until chunky (not completely smooth).
- Stir in the Ener-G egg and panko, stirring until the mixture is combined. Divide into 4 portions and shape each into a 3-inch patty.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 5 minutes. Carefully flip with a spatula (this was the cooking skill highlighted on the recipe card!). Top each burger with a slice of the cheddar and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- To assemble the burgers, place each patty on a bun, then top with a lettuce leaf and a tomato slice.
Travis loved these so much he devoured two! We talked about the meaning of the recipe’s name as we dined, and how beans and other plant-based foods come from the earth. We loved that Raddish had such a plant-focused recipe card!