Biscuit recipes can be sticky and tricky to work with, but this one comes together like a dream. It’s definitely worth the effort to make fresh sweet potato puree, instead of buying a can.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/8 cup plain almond milk
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Peel and cube the potatoes and place in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil, then continue to cook for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender. Drain and mash to equal 1 cup, reserving any additional sweet potato for another use.
- Meanwhile, combine the applesauce and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder in a large bowl. Add the sweet potato puree, olive oil, and almond milk.
- In a second bowl, combine the flour, remaining 2 teaspoons baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the applesauce mixture, stirring slowly to combine.
- Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes.
These are delicious with a pat of Earth Balance butter for serving. You can store leftover biscuits in an air-tight container.