This hearty dish works equally well for breakfast or dinner, especially because it needs at least 8 hours in the fridge to chill before you pop it in the oven.
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance butter, softened
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheddar
- 1 (14-ounce) package silken tofu
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup butternut squash puree
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Spread the butter evenly over the bread slices, then cut the bread into 1-inch cubes. Combine the bread in a bowl with the cheddar and transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, combine the tofu, milk, butternut squash, and Dijon in a blender; process until smooth. Pour the tofu mixture over the bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Uncover and bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes, until lightly browned on top
The hidden squash puree is nice, but we might try this next time with mushrooms, tomatoes, and spinach mixed in for a veggie boost!