This brunch cake, slightly adapted from an eat-your-veggies recipe in Parents magazine, is beautiful for an Easter gathering or any other springtime event.
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 Ener-G eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded carrots
For the glaze:
- 3 ounces non-dairy cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain non-dairy creamer
- Chopped pistachios
- To prepare the cake, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, and nutmeg in a bowl. Set aside.
- Make the Ener-G eggs in the bottom of a large bowl. Whisk in the brown sugar, oil, and applesauce. Add the flour mixture to the applesauce mixture, then fold in the shredded carrots.
- Spoon the mixture into an 8×4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes. Cool completely.
- To prepare the topping, stir together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Begin adding the creamer a little at a time until you reach desired consistency. For a frosting, add only a few tablespoons. If you want more of a drizzled glaze, add the full 1/2 cup.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with chopped pistachios as the finishing touch.