These veggie burger patties are delicious, but don’t hold their shape that well out of the pan. The solution I’ve found is to tuck them into pita bread pockets for an easy hand-held meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 green bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic; saute for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl, along with the pinto beans; mash with a potato masher.
- Whisk together the flaxseed and water, and add to the pinto bean mixture, along with the breadcrumbs. Stir until combined. Note: At this point you can store the mixture in the fridge until ready to shape at cook the patties, which makes it a great make-ahead option for busy nights.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Divide the pinto bean mixture into six portions, shaping into patties, and add to the skillet. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side.