This homemade mac ‘n’ cheese comes together almost as quickly as packaged vegan offerings, like those from Earth Balance or Daiya, but you have much greater control over the ingredients.
- 1 and 1/2 cups uncooked whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Daiya cheddar
- 3 tablespoons plain non-dairy yogurt
- Cooked broccoli or other veggie of choice
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, whisking to combine. Gradually add the almond milk and continue to cook for about 1 minute, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar and yogurt. Add the cooked pasta to the sauce, tossing to coat.
To serve, stir in about 1/4 cup steamed and chopped vegetables of your toddler’s choice into each serving of pasta. Travis loves broccoli, which works great in this recipe, but you can mix and match as much as you like!