Here’s the third in a series of recipes I featured with a simple tofu-and-bell-pepper preparation. We gave it an Asian spin for a final night of leftovers!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm tofu, cubed
- 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- Rice noodles
- Chopped peanuts
- Cilantro (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, cumin, and chili powder; saute for 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and saute for an additional 6 minutes, until the peppers are soft; transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon oil in the pan. Add the tofu and cook for a final 6 minutes. Return the bell pepper mixture to the pan, along with the juice from 1/2 a lime, and the soy sauce.
- Meanwhile, cook rice noodles according to package directions. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
For each preschooler-sized portion, I served 1/2 cup rice noodles with 1/2 cup tofu mixture. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and cilantro to taste for serving.