For kids who won’t eat their vegetables, mac and cheese is the perfect venue to slip in a little extra veggie goodness while they are none the wiser. Here’s my super-speedy version, starting with your favorite store-bought mac ‘n’ cheese mix.
- 1 package vegan macaroni and cheese
- 1 large sweet potato
- Prepare the mac and cheese according to package directions; set aside.
- Meanwhile, peel and cube the sweet potato, and cook in boiling water for 20 minutes, or until very tender.
- Transfer the sweet potato to a blender, along with a little of the cooking liquid; process until smooth.
- Stir 1/2 cup sweet potato puree into the mac and cheese; reserve the remaining sweet potato for another use. (Note: The puree is perfect for babies, if you’re feeding kids of multiple ages!).
From here, the varieties are almost endless. You could also use the same amount of butternut squash puree, cauliflower puree:
or carrot puree:
Sometimes I also leave the veggies a little chunkier, as with the carrot version shown here.