This classic Christmas cookie is the perfect recipe to make with little kids: an easy dough that comes together with few ingredients, plus the magic of shaping the cookies with the best instrument of all – your child’s thumb!
Note: to make Ener-G egg yolks, use 1 tablespoon powder in 2 tablespoons water. For other vegan egg substitutes, aim for a similar volume.
- 2/3 cup Earth Balance butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Ener-G egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer until creamed. Add the sugar and beat until combined.
- Add the Ener-G and vanilla; beat until combined.
- Gradually beat in the flour. Shape the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 1 hour.
- To bake the cookies, roll into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheets. Press your thumb into the middle of each cookie.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 11 minutes. If the thumbprint starts to puff up during baking, press back down with the back of a teaspoon.
- Let cool on wire racks before filling as desired. For
For a uber-classic version, use strawberry jam. We updated ours with a carrot cake jam filling!