Layers of breaded eggplant, warm marinara sauce, and gooey Daiya cheese are the ultimate comfort food, making this the perfect recipe for a rainy evening. Mozzarella would be a bit more Italian, but my kids prefer this recipe with Daiya’s cheddar.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Daiya cheese
- Peel and thinly slice the eggplant. Place in a colander and sprinkle with the salt; let stand for 20 minutes, then rinse and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and olive oil. Add the eggplant slices and toss to coat.
- Alternate adding the eggplant and the marinara sauce to a 9×13-inch baking dish, beginning and ending with the sauce. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes.