Rice and beans are a match made in heaven, with so many variations to keep kids from getting bored. This recipe gets its beautiful green color from fresh spinach sauce. Use brown rice in place of the white rice, if you prefer.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 and 1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 (15-ounce) drained and rinsed can black beans
- To prepare the rice, combine the broth, 1 cup water, rice, and bay leaf in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 30 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and remove the bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, prepare the spinach sauce: combine the spinach in a blender or food processor with the remaining 1/2 cup water, lemon juice, and garlic. Process until smooth.
- Add the spinach mixture and black beans to the rice, stirring to combine.
This is delicious on its own, but even better wrapped up in a tortilla!