There’s a lot going on in this recipe, and it’s a great way to introduce foods or flavors that your kids might never have tried before, such as red lentils or pumpkin seeds.
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 4 slices vegan bacon
- 2 cups peeled and shredded sweet potato
- 1/2 cup chopped pumpkin seeds,
- 4 Ener-G eggs
- 1 cup shredded non-dairy cheddar
- Place the lentils in a bowl and cover with the boiling water. Let stand for 20 minutes, then drain and return the lentils to the bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the red onion and bacon; cook for 6 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded sweet potato, followed by the softened lentils, pumpkin seeds, Ener-G eggs, and cheddar.
- Line a 13×9-inch baking dish with parchment paper and spoon in the lentil mixture. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake a final 10 minutes.
- Cool completely, then cut into squares or fun shapes with cookie cutters! We tried circles and hearts for a little bit of whimsy at dinner.