Special snow days off from school call for special breakfasts, and these decadent pancakes fit the bill! Note: you can grind your own oat flour from regular rolled oats, which is a cinch to do if you don’t want to purchase an entire bag of oat flour at the store.
For the Strawberry Topping:
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup water
For the Pancakes:
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 teaspoons + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 cups plain non-dairy yogurt
- 2 tablespoons melted Earth Balance butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- To prepare the strawberry topping, combine the strawberries and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until you can easily break the strawberries up with the back of a spoon. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pancakes: combine the flour, oat flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce and remaining 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. Add the apple juice, yogurt, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring just until combined.
- Heat a griddle coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Drop the batter on the surface and cook until bubbles appear, then flip and cook an additional 2 minutes or so on the other side.
- Top with the strawberry mixture to serve!