Here’s the perfect little lunch to put together for your kids this Valentine’s Day! Serve it at home, or pack it up for school; it travels easily in the compartments of a lunchbox.
For the deli slices, you can use a good vegan pepperoni (such as Yves Veggie) if your children like the taste. My son finds pepperoni too spicy, so I use milder deli slices from Field Roast, torn into small pieces.
- 1 pound refrigerated pizza dough
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Daiya mozzarella
- 1 package vegan deli slices or pepperoni
- Celery sticks
- Non-dairy cream cheese
- 1 red bell pepper
- To prepare the pizza hearts, divide the dough in half. Working with one half at a time, roll into a 14×7-inch rectangle. Spread the dough with half of the sauce, leaving a 1/2-inch border free of sauce along one long edge.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese, and cut the rectangle into 10 strips. Top the strips evenly with half of the pepperoni or deli meat.
- Roll up two strips towards the unsauced end, leaving the end unrolled, and place next to each other on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pinch the tips of the “heart” together to seal.
- Repeat with the remaining strips, and then repeat steps 1 through 3 with the remaining half of the dough for 10 hearts total.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 18 minutes, until cooked through.
- To prepare the stuffed celery, fill celery pieces with your favorite vegan cream cheese.
- Wash and core the bell pepper. Using a small heart-shaped cookie cutter, punch out heart shapes and top each celery piece with a heart.
Hope your kids eat their heart out!
One thought on “Pizza Hearts and Sweet Stuffed Celery”