This creamy soup might just convince your kids to eat their broccoli… and their split peas, too!
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 1 small leek, chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup green split peas
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 pounds broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded Daiya cheddar
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leek and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic.
- Add the water or broth, split peas, and black pepper. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover, reduce heat, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli and almond milk; simmer for an additional 10 minutes, covered.
- Let the soup cool slightly, then transfer to a blender and process until smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and whisk in the cheese. Heat over low heat until the cheese is stretchy and mostly melted.
We like this with a few Gardein chick’n nuggets on the side!