It finally feels like fall, after a strange spike back into 80 degree weather, and today simply called for this apple dessert. The flavors and smells practically scream out autumn.
- Cooking spray
- 2 (6-oz) Gala apples
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple butter, divided
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 1 and 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Core and finely dice the apples, then combine in a bowl with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons apple butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, remaining teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter and mix with your fingers until the mixture starts to clump. Stir in the oats.
- Press 1 and 1/2 cups of the flour mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread with the remaining 1 cup apple butter, then top with the Gala apple mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining flour mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely in the pan for 2 hours before cutting into 20 squares.