This savory pancake batter sneaks in not one but two vegetables. They make a great breakfast-for-dinner meal, especially when served alongside your favorite meatless sausage.
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup butternut squash soup (such as Imagine)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 teaspoons Earth Balance butter
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1/4 cup black beans
- To prepare the pancakes, combine the cornmeal and flour in a bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together the flaxseed and water in a large bowl. Add the soup and soy milk, whisking to combine. Stir in the cornmeal mixture just until combined.
- Melt the butter on a griddle over medium-high heat. Add the pancake batter to form 4 to 5 pancakes. Cook for about 3 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 2 minutes or so on the other side. (Note: These won’t form bubbles on the top when ready to flip, as standard pancakes do).
- Meanwhile, stir together the salsa and black beans in a small bowl. Serve the pancakes with the salsa on the side, or dolloped right on top!