Steel-cut oats are a wonderfully hearty way to start the day, but since they require 20 to 25 minutes to simmer on the stove, they aren’t always practical. You can get a head start with this recipe – the oats soak overnight, which cuts the cooking time nearly in half come morning.
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin pie puree
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, bring the mixture to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, until the oats are tender, stirring occasionally.