This is the most decadent dessert I’ve cooked up in a while, but sometimes you just need a super-chocolatey treat. This recipe is made possible thanks to vegan marshmallow crème!
For the cakes:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Ener-G egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan buttermilk*
For the filling:
- 6 tablespoons Earth Balance butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 7 ounces Ricemellow Crème
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup mini non-dairy chocolate chips
- To prepare the cakes, combine the flour, cocoa, and baking soda in a large bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the Ener-G egg and vanilla; beat until combined. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, and beating well after each addition.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespooons on greased baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, ricemellow, vanilla, and cocoa; beat until smooth.
- Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons filling on top of half of the cookies; top with the remaining cookies.
- Place the chocolate chips in a bowl, and roll the sides of the whoopie pies in the chips. Delish!
* To prepare the buttermilk, pour 1 tablespoon lemon juice into a measuring cup. Fill with plain unsweetened non-dairy milk to equal 1 cup and let stand for 5 minutes.