In the past, I’ve outsourced birthday party cakes to vegan bakeries in our area, but this year I decided to be brave and go homemade. I’m happy to report these cupcakes are nearly foolproof, and were a huge hit!
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 cups vanilla soy milk
- 2 and 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/8 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- Line 20 muffin cups with paper liners (find a color that fits your party theme!), and coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Pour the cider vinegar into a measuring cup, and add soy milk to equal 1 and 1/2 cups; this will sour the mixture.
- Meanwhile combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine the soy milk mixture in the bowl of a stand mixer with the canola oil, vanilla, and coconut extract. Add the flour mixture, beating until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners (about 1/4 cup batter per cupcake).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
Ok, I did cheat on the frosting and opted for a jar of Wholesome Sweeteners’ vanilla flavor. Go homemade on the frosting too if you have the time!