This apple juice and maple syrup sweetened birthday cake is just right for a baby’s first dessert. Line up those cameras for the big smash cake moment, and enjoy!
For the cake:
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup thawed apple juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 6 tablespoons Earth Balance butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons boiled apple cider
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- To prepare the cake, combine the flour, oat flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together the applesauce and remaining 1/4 teaspoon baking powder in a large bowl. Add the apple juice concentrate, soy milk, canola oil, maple syrup, and vanilla, whisking until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the applesauce mixture, stirring until combined. Spoon into a greased 9-inch round cake pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes; a wooden pick inserted in the center should come out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack before turning out onto a cake plate.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting: Combine the butter, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and cider in a stand mixer; beat until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar gradually, beating well after each addition. Spoon onto the cake. Store loosely-covered in the fridge until ready to serve.