Lentils are one of Veronika’s favorite foods, and this is an easy way to jazz them up. Cooking the quinoa in the microwave means you only need one saucepan, a bonus come clean-up time!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup green lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
- To prepare the quinoa, combine the quinoa and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave for 4 minutes. Stir, recover, and return to the microwave for a final 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the liquid is nearly all absorbed.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for a final 2 to 3 minutes, until the spinach wilts.
- Add the lentil mixture to the quinoa mixture, then let cool before serving.