This will be Veronika’s first Thanksgiving eating solid food (last year she was only 1 month old!). This easy mashed potato recipe will be perfect for her holiday table; it’s mild enough for toddlers, but yummy enough to please older kids or grown-ups, too.
For the potatoes:
- 4 yellow potatoes
- 2 parsnips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the gravy:
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons hot water, divided
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- To prepare the potatoes, peel and chop the potatoes and parsnips and place in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil; continue to cook for 15 minutes, until tender.
- Drain, reserving the cooking liquid, and return to the pan. Add the olive oil and salt and mash with a potato masher to desired consistency, adding enough reserved cooking liquid as desired for the consistency your toddler likes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the gravy: dissolve the bouillon cube in 1 cup hot water. Whisk in the soy sauce and poultry seasoning.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons water. Add the cornstarch mixture to the broth mixture, whisking until combined and thickened.
- Serve the gravy over the mashed potatoes, and wherever else it would be yummy at your holiday table!