This recipe makes generously sized muffins, perfect for hungry kids after school or for a great boost in the morning. The addition of molasses means extra B vitamins. Use nutmeg in place of the cloves, if desired, and increase the applesauce to as much as 3/4 cup if the batter seems too thick.
- 2 and 1/2 cups flour
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- In a bowl, combine the flour, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves; set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the applesauce and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon baking powder.
- Stir in the canola oil, molasses, agave, vanilla, and pumpkin.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, then divide evenly among the cups of a muffin pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 27 minutes. Cool on wire racks.