It can be hard to find vegan graham crackers at the store without having to special order, but this chocolatey version is surprisingly easy to make at home. Let kids help with the cookie cutters!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in the bowl of a food processor, using the dough blade. Pulse until combined.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and drop over the flour mixture. Process until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Add the maple syrup, water, and vanilla; process until a wet dough forms.
- Scrape the dough out onto a well-floured surface and pat into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour – it will firm up considerably during this time!
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to about 1/8-inch thick. Cut into squares, or have children help cut into circles or any other shape with cookie cutters. Transfer the graham crackers to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Prick each cracker several times with a fork, then bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Our favorite way to eat them – aside from plain – is spread with apple butter.
For extra decadence, sprinkle the tops with cinnamon-sugar before baking. My perfect sugar-to-cinnamon ratio? Keep a container in your pantry with two teaspoons cinnamon stirred into 3/4 cup sugar.
One thought on “Chocolate Graham Crackers”