We’re one week from Halloween, and the bushes all around town are draped in fake cobwebs or plastered with giant black spiders. We added to the arachnid fun with this easy dessert idea from Highlights magazine. For vegan chocolate cookies, try the wheat-free Newman O’s oreo cookies; scrape out the crème filling and replace with the cream cheese or peanut butter. If you can’t find Newman O’s, any vegan chocolate cookie will do!
- 8 round chocolate cookies
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy cream cheese or peanut butter
- 16 pretzel sticks
- 8 raisins
- Divide the cream cheese or peanut butter evenly among 4 of the cookies. Set aside.
- Snap the pretzel sticks in half so you have 32 pieces. Arrange 8 pieces on each of 4 cookies, to be the spider legs, using the cream cheese as “glue” to hold them in place. Top with the remaining 4 cookies.
- Add an extra dot of cream cheese on the top cookies, and press on the raisins as eyes.
If only all spiders were this adorable!